Spring hovednavigationen over

Practising in Denmark

Do you want to be a lawyer in Denmark? If you have studied law or are qualified as a lawyer outside Denmark, there are certain steps you need to take in order to qualify as a lawyer in Denmark.

Citizens from other EU member states

Assistant attorney - Granting of host-country professional title (advokat)

As a main rule, you must hold a Danish bachelor’s and master’s degree in law in order to become an assistant attorney and eventually a lawyer ("advokat") in Denmark.

However, applicable to persons who hold a master’s degree in law from one of the EU member states - a master’s degree in law which corresponds to a Danish bachelor’s and master’s degree in law - the Minister of Justice may fix a trial period of maximum three years, during which time you shall be employed by a lawyer, e.g. as a legal consultant. This trial period serves to ensure that you have the necessary knowledge of Danish procedural law and master the Danish language at a level that enables you to conduct oral proceedings in a proper manner.

When the trial period has ended, your employer must declare that you are qualified to appear before court in Denmark, and after that, you will be able to work as an assistant attorney on the same terms as an assistant attorney with a Danish master’s degree in law (in Denmark, you are in general required to be an assistant attorney for three years in order to become a lawyer), including access to the mandatory basic training and exams. However, the requirement of three years employment as assistant attorney may be reduced with a part of the trial period (usually half of the trial period).

After the conclusion of your nominal three years employment as an assistant attorney and the passing of the mandatory exams, your employer must provide a statement as to the obtained practical experience upon which the Ministry of Justice shall decide whether you fulfil all legal requirements necessary for the granting of the title of "Advokat" in Denmark.

Applications to become an assistant attorney in Denmark on the basis of a law degree obtained in another EU member state shall be filed with:

The Department of Civil Affairs
Toldboden 2, 2. sal
DK-8800 Viborg
Email: civilstyrelsen@civilstyrelsen.dk
Secure email: sikkerpost@civilstyrelsen.dk
Website: www.civilstyrelsen.dk

Citizens from non-EU member-states

It is not possible for citizens from non-EU member states to become an attorney-at-law or lawyer in Denmark unless they have obtained a law degree from an EU member state. This also applies to persons who already have been practising law in a non-EU member state.

However, if you have already obtained a law degree from a non-EU member state you should always contact the educational institution at stake (e.g. Copenhagen University) and they will be able to advise you on the possible transfer of qualification credits due to your already obtained law degree.

If you have obtained a master’s degree in law in Denmark or another EU member state, please see the section on specific information to citizens from EU member states regarding your opportunities to be employed as an assistant attorney in Denmark.

The Danish Bar and Law Society
Kronprinsessegade 28
DK-1306 Copenhagen
Phone: +45 33 96 97 98

Email: postkasse@advokatsamfundet.dk

Secure email: postkasse@advokatsamfundet.dk

Opening hours:
Monday-Thursday 9.00-16.00
Friday 9.00-15.00